Important Points to note: (READ THEM IF YOU HAVENT INSTALLED THIS ROM BEFORE)
If your Hboot is not stock (like Oxygen/CM), you should change it back to Stock Hboot before flashing. This is a stock Rom.
Remember the Golden Rule of Happy Flashing: Always create a Nandroid backup before proceeding
If you’re going to try partitioning your card, always copy the entire sdcard contents to a backup folder on your hard disk.
Note that Nandroid backups are saved to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup and Titanium backups are saved to /sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder. These should periodically be backed up to hard disk especially before a Partitioning operation.
Partition only with Gparted
Partitions-Two partitions are required. First one should be Fat32 primary, and the second should be ext4 (Our script does try to convert other partitions like ext2, ext3 to ext4. However, if this fails, create an ext4)
The order of making partitions in Gparted is important. Sequentially, the first should be Fat32 (not Fat), and the second should be ext4
Wipe recommended on first install [Only scenario where it is not required is when you were already on Sibere’s ext4 Data2Sd on another Sense Rom]. (If you’re reinstalling my rom again, you dont need a wipe)
A Class 4 or above SD card is recommended for Data2sd. If you use Class 2, you may notice a perceptible lag.
Recommended Recoveries: Use either CWM 18.104.22.168 (Highly recommended), Alpharev CWM 22.214.171.124, Amon Ra 126.96.36.199, or CWM 188.8.131.52-r3 posted by Kali. Links on Resources page). Kindly note that other editions of CWM 184.108.40.206+ have serious bugs!)
Turn signature verification off in Recovery menu before running the installer script (Otherwise you will receive messages like File/Signature verification failed)
If you’re installing a new version of Data2SD code, then unless otherwise specified, you’re supposed to install after a clean wipe.
Very important: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE INSTALLER OF ONE VERSION OF DATA2SD AND REINSTALLER FROM ANOTHER VERSION OF DATA2SD. IF YOU WANT TO SWITCH DATA2SD VERSIONS (OR UPGRADE TO DATA2SD), OR SWITCH BETWEEN STABLE AND BETA VERSIONS, USE “Re-Installing over an existing installation because of code revision in the Data2SD code” procedure! Alternately use the migration scripts. Note that the migration scripts are betas and may have bugs. So take a Nandroid backup before running any of them.
If you’re using ROM Manager to install SuperNova, only use it to download the ROM and other files. Never run the flashable zips directly from ROM Manager! This rule does not apply to the Classic Edition.
- In case you run into any issues during installation, or cannot get SuperNova to work, before you ask for help, goto this page, and copy the “Form for asking questions”, paste it into the SuperNova thread after filling your responses. If you dont do this, your post will just be ignored!
There are three different installation scenarios.
- Installation for the first time- When you’re coming from another ROM and doing everything for the first time, including partitioning
- Re-Installing over an existing installation because of code revision in the Data2SD code
- Updating the ROM over an existing ROM when there is no significant change in Data2sd code
Installation for the first time: (For a more detailed instruction set, see Step-by-step method for the Newbie, below)
1. Full Wipe is necessary when installing for the first time (Backup your data in both recovery and Titanium before installing)
2. Partition your sd card into two partitions-The First must be Fat32 Primary, and the second can be any Primary ext partition-ext2/3/4 (ext4 preferred)
2.1 For SuperNova, it is recommended that you flash the latest compatible Radio.
3. Install the Rom zip from recovery
THE NEXT FEW STEPS WILL DIFFER FOR DIFFERENT ROM FLAVORS.
A. INSTALLATION FOR STANDARD AND LITE VERSIONS
4. Boot once, allow system to stabilize. Do NOT install any applications/restore any applications at this point. Also do not enter your Google account details at this point. You can do all that later. Note that you must enter Wifi settings, Network settings and Language settings at this point (before Data2sd is installed), if you want system settings to be saved. Otherwise these will be forgotten on each reboot (if you’re using Stable version of Data2SD. Beta code of Data2sd has this corrected)
5. At this point you will be having a simple Non A2SD, Non Data2SD setup
6. Reboot into recovery once more, run the Data2sdInstaller.zip
Re-Installing over an existing installation because of code revision in the Data2SD code
Note that you can always install any new version of SuperNova Standard or Lite any time it is released. Unless you manually want to change your Data2SD code, you can always install a new Standard or Lite Rom over your previous Rom of the same flavor, if you follow it up with the Data2SD Reinstaller of the previous Data2SD code you had. The following steps are applicable only when you want to change to a newer Data2SD code.
- Complete backup of user apps+system data from Titanium
- Wipe data/Factory reset from Recovery
- Install ROM
- Boot once, choose language and region
- Reboot to recovery, install the latest Data2sd installer
- Titanium restore: Restore missing apps+All system data
Updating the ROM over an existing ROM when there is no significant change in Data2sd code
Standard and Lite editions
(When you are updating the Main ROM OR After reflashing the rom for any purpose like removing system apps and widgets )
This should be done only if you have run the Data2SD installer zip at least once previously and havent wiped your sd-ext after that
- Flash the main rom after removing any apps/widgets you dont want (Removing system apps is always tricky with any Sense rom and may cause boot loops/force closes of its own)
- Immediately after flashing the rom, install the DATA2SD Reinstaller zip. (Note that this this is to be done immediately after flashing the main rom and not after a reboot)
Note: If you ever wipe before a ROM install, you have to use the Data2SD installer and not the Reinstaller!
Note that the order and time at which you flash the Rom, Data2SD installer and Reinstaller is important.
Step-by-Step method of Installation for the Newbie for a First Time Installation)
- First Step: Reboot into Recovery Right now and Backup your Nandroid. Optionally and if you have these softwares, do in addition a backup from Titanium Backup and MyBackupPro
- Second Step: Copy the entire contents of your MicroSD card, including specifically the folders Clockworkmod, TitaniumBackup and Rerware to a safe location on your PC; depending on whether you do/dont have Titanium backup and MyBackupPro installed.
- You cannot install this ROM on top of your existing ROM. A complete delete of partitions followed by repartitioning is required. If you already have a Fat32 followed by an ext partition, you can try installing as per above instructions after a full wipe. But if there are some issues, do the repartitioning to fix it.
- Preparing the Recovery before Partitioning: Do a Complete Nandroid Wipe (That is, choose the wipe data/factory reset option)
- Partitioning: Boot up the Gparted LiveCD
- Choose your MicroSD card reader device, select each partition and delete each.
- Then hit “Apply changes”
- At the beginning of the free space, create the fat32 partition first as fat32 primary, Leave space unallocated at the end to create the ext4-Choose how much space you want as ext4, and leave this space at the end unallocated. The total amount of space in your card minus the amount you choose for your data in ext4, is what you type in as size for the fat32.
- Now create ext4 parition after the FAT32 Partition.Note that the First partition must be Fat32 (never FAT), and the second must be ext4. The order must not be changed. There should also not be any unused space at the beginning of either partitions, or between the two.
- Apply changes, and boot to your Desktop.
- Copy both zips (rom, data2sdinstaller or data2sdreinstaller as the case may be) to the fat32, insert the card into your phone.
- Install rom.
The next few steps differ depending on which edition of SuperNova you are installing.
STANDARD AND LITE EDITIONS:
- If you are installing SuperNova for the first time, after installing the Rom you have to boot to Android first, choose language and other options. Then right after that without downloading any applications or using the Market, you have to enter Recovery once again and install the Data2SD Installer
- If were already SuperNova previously and just want to update, just boot to Recovery, and Backup your Nandroid. Then install the Rom zip first. Without rebooting, apply the Data2SDReinstaller. Now boot to Android to use updated SuperNova
- If you are installing SuperNova for the first time, after installing the Rom you have to boot to Android first, choose language and other options. Then right after that without downloading any applications or using the Market, you have to press and hold the Power button and choose Reboot.
- On the next startup, a green LED will flash for around a minute and indicates creation of the new Data2SD ext4 partition and initialization procedure. Then, a blue LED will flash signifying successfully starting the Data2SD program. Check your SD settings, and you will now see the increased amount of internal storage space.
- If were already SuperNova previously and just want to update, just boot to Recovery, and Backup your Nandroid. Then install the Rom zip. Then just restart from recovery to Android system, and all should be done.
In case you followed all the steps correctly and still ended up with a freeze at the HTC/Alpharev Joker logo, see the “How to ask for help” post in the Resources section.